- 2 chickens (whole, about 3 to 4 pounds/1.4 to 1.8 kg each)For the Chicken Seasoning:
- 1/2 cup/120mL butter (unsalted room temperature)
- 1/4 cup/60mL olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60mL oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 small lemon (zest and juice of)
- 5-6 basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons/10mL rosemary (fresh, roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon/15mL white wine
- 2 tablespoons/30mL salt (sea)
- 1 teaspoon/5mL black pepperFor the Glaze
- 1 cup/240mL balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup/80mL pear jelly
- 2 tablespoons/30mL honeyFor Extras:
- 1 large onion (peeled and halved)
- 1 lemon (halved)
Preparing the Chickens:
1. Clean up the chickens, removing the giblets and trimming any excess
skin or fatty parts.
2. Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water.
3. Pat dry with paper towels.
4. Combine chicken seasoning ingredients. Rub inside and out and
under the skin of chickens.
5. Put chickens on large tray and cover with plastic wrap.
6. Let marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preparing the glaze:
7. Simply bring the balsamic vinegar, pear jelly, and honey to a boil.
8. Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for 6-8 minutes,
9. Once mixture has reduced by half and takes on a syrup-like
consistency, remove from heat and cool.
Grilling the Chickens:
10. Preheat grill for medium heat.
11. Remove chickens from refrigerator, stuff into each cavity, half an
onion and half an lemon.
12. Arrange chickens onto rotisserie spit and place on grill.
13. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours brushing with balsamic
glaze during the last 30-40 minutes of cook time.
14. Check for doneness (should be 175 degrees F/85 degrees C in
multiple parts) with thermometer.
15. Let stand 10 minutes before carving and serving.