Use Hamilton Beach 10 Cup Hot Oil Deep Fryer For Only $630 For Best Results.
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground marjoram
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Place chicken and thyme in 13×9-inch glass baking dish. Pour buttermilk over
chicken; stir until chicken is coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Prepare a rack to drain the chicken by placing
on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels; set aside.
3. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, garlic powder, marjoram, salt,
thyme, pepper, sage and paprika.
4. Lift chicken from buttermilk, letting excess buttermilk drain back into the
5. Add several pieces of chicken at a time to the bag of seasoned flour. Shake
gently to coat.
6. Remove coated chicken, dip again in reserved buttermilk. Repeat shaking in
flour mixture to get a thick coating.
7. Place chicken pieces in a single layer in deep fryer basket and carefully lower
basket into the preheated oil.
8. Fry chicken until meat thermometer has reached 165°F and coating is golden
brown (about 15 minutes). Transfer chicken to rack to drain.
9. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.